Sunday, April 12, 2009
Suicide Awareness Assembly
I'm not going to lie, when I heard that our class was going to a forum theatre on suicide awareness, I was sure it was going to be a complete corny flop.....man was I ever wrong. The play was extremely well performed and the message was put forth clearly, but not so clearly that it was insulting our intelligence (like some of the forum theatres I've seen). I could tell that a lot of hard work had gone into the whole thing. The way the situation was portrayed was really effective and they did a good job of identifying what to look for and how we, as students, can help. I was glad to see that people were taking it seriously for the most part and that students were really interested in making a difference. The ONLY thing that I didn't like about it was the talk afterwards. Let me just say first that it was a really great idea and I liked what they had planned as far as asking AND answering questions, but what I didn't like was that whenever a question was asked that didn't quite fit what they were trying to teach us, it was sort of averted and forgotten. I heard some really great questions that would have been really useful to have answered, but since they didn't go along with the "plan" they were never actually answered. So that was one thing that could have used some work, but other than that I would give the whole thing two thumbs up and I think it would incredibly useful to do something similar with larger (or just more) audiences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment