Monday, March 9, 2009

Leadership Quote:

We were asked to find a leadership quote that spoke to us and after looking at pages and pages of semi-inspiring, kind of thoughtful quotes, I came across the following quote by Ross Perot and I think it is incredibly meaningful....

"Lead and inspire people. Don't try to manage and manipulate people. Inventories can be managed but people must be lead."

I liked this quote so much because it points out a major flaw in a lot of leaders. Some people think that good leaders are just people who can make other people do what they want them to do, but in truth, a good leader is someone who can speak to people about their hopes and dreams and, after listening, their audience truly wants to pursue those same hopes and dreams whole-heartedly. A good leader will say and do things that inspire others to be like them. They will make people look and them and say "Wow, I wish I could be like that." It's true that some people have convinced others to do things and not been considered good leaders, but like this quote says, they just wanted to manage and manipulate. To be a good leader you have to want something to happen that will push people in the right direction. They drive forwards, not backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment