I found that listening to Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture" made me feel two things: one was inspired, the other was small.
I think the first one is what he wants people to feel. This man who most people never met and now never will was able to give us all INCREDIBLE advice on how to live life. He encourages people to try their best to achieve their childhood dreams and to live life to the fullest. A quote he said that really made me think was when he said that "experience is what you get when you don't get what you want". This teaches us that if we don't get it right, that doesn't mean we're a complete failure and all our work was for nothing...we got experience from it. We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and learn from our mistakes.
One of the reasons why I think that his lecture was so effective if because, like he said, it wasn't a hypothetical "if I was going to die ad this was my last lecture, what would I say..." he was actually dieing and yet he had such enthusiasm and he had no regrets and no pity on himself. He felt that he had done the best he could and that was good enough for him. And that is something that every person on earth should aspire to. To be able to leave this world knowing that you lived a good life and that you wouldn't take back a single minute of it. That's the inspiring part.
But along with the inspiring part is what I said about feeling small. I look at someone like Randy Pausch and I see a man who in his final months of life was able to influence and challenge millions of people. So what have I done? or more importantly, what can I do? I may not be able to compare with Pausch, but I do want to make a difference in some way. I see someone who was able to embolden so many people to make change and I only wish I were working harder. So what am I going to do about it? What are WE going to do about it? Well I hope what we'll do is take his advise. I hope we'll find the courage to pursue our dreams and to make our mark in the little time we're given here on earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
he's an inspiration to us all
ReplyDelete